Pages

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Reading Response 1

          For my summer reading choice book, I read Struck by Jennifer Bosworth. I must say that this novel would make a pretty awesome movie. It's a thriller.
           The novel drew my attention with its unique subject- the complicated life of a lightning addict in post-appocolyptic Los Angeles. Heroine Mia Price is the main character, and she has been struck too many times to count. The pain is something so white hot that it is the most alive she has ever felt, even if it does leave her skin latticed with bright red lightning scars. Mia struggles between several groups. One, led by a false prophet, another trying to hold off the full destruction of Los Angeles, and yet another, a boy who wants nothing more than to save her from her imminent choice.
           As I was reading this novel I found myself trying to help Mia make decisions. I wanted to find the truth as much as she did. I am sure that not being able to put the book down for a full day is the mark of a great story. Struck makes you feel everything Mia goes through, and drives you to wrack your brain for solutions. Clearly this was a fast-paced and thought-provking novel.
          I would recommend Struck to pretty much any Young Adult reader. Though it's not relevant to anything I've ever experienced, sometimes you need a novel to take you far away for a while.

2 comments:

  1. Mary Beth, your description of this book is really vivid, and I like how you use different kinds and lengths of sentences to create rhythm in your writing. I get a clear picture of you as a reader here. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the way you described to book, it makes me want to read this book. This was very helpful, and gives me a good idea of how interesting this book is.

    ReplyDelete