Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Reading Response 11

          This week I continued Birthmarked by Caragh O'Brien. I've had a hard time putting this book down over the weekend, and the plot has become thicker and thicker. Since I don't believe I have done a reading response on this novel, I'll clue you in:

          Birthmarked focuses around the struggles of Gaia Stone, a 16-year-old girl, around the year 2400. Her life up to this point had been spent outside the wall of a "perfect" society, which she and the other members of her small community serve unquestioningly. Inside the wall, a ruling family, headed by "the Protectorat," commands and makes decisions for the greater good of the population. Or so everyone thinks.
          When Gaia's parents are arrested by the Guard, her life becomes infinitely  more difficult and she begins to question the rule of the society that has held her in confined poverty and dependence her entire life.

          As you can see, the plot of this book makes for an intense, quick read. There are many parallel and subplots that twist and meet and force developments in each other throughout the story. Beyond that though, the writing itself is extremely well done. I've read books that forced me to reread sentences multiple times to get the picture, but that has not happened at all in Birthmarked. O'Brien has an excellent way of getting the message across through beautifully flowing sentences. As always, a well written story makes a more enjoyable story. You can focus on your feelings and interactions with the characters, make your own decisions, and not get bogged down in irritating language.
          Interactions with the characters are also definitely a large part of this novel. I find myself doing the classic horror movie "I told you not to do that" (even though the plot is not precisely horror... or horror at all really), smiling at the innocence of a young character, and wishing I could be an angel on Gaia's shoulder, offering advice.  The author really puts you on the spot, revealing enough to keep the reader interested, but not enough to give away a conclusion. It makes for a twisting turning plot that loops its way into a maze of possible outcomes. Right now, I feel as stuck as Gaia in her distopian world of uncertainty.
          This is definitely a book I would recommend to just about anyone. Its not one that's easy to put down, but Birthmarked is definitely worth a couple hours of your time.

So to wrap up with my reading times:

Birthmarked by Caragh O'Brien: 10/29- 15min. 10/30- 15min. 10/31- 15min. 11/1- 15min. 11/3- 2hrs 15min. 11/4- 2hrs. (35%- 71%)

Total: 4hrs 15min. 36% (kindle)

No comments:

Post a Comment