Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Total Chaos

          Block 3 English is a dynamic class. To say the least. The plane crash activity we did showed that in a glaring light. The instant we were left to our own devices, total chaos erupted. No one could get a wise word in before some fellow "crash victim" began shouting over them, for little more than the desire to create further disruption. From the "hunters" to the girls who were to "stay with" the imaginary first graders, every person wanted to do something other than survive.
          When the first response to "it's you all and a class of first graders stranded on an island," was "Eat the first graders!" I knew this activity was not going to go well. Half the class was more interested in creating chaos than doing the activity right. There were points where we briefly did well, such as Aaron's idea to use the stapler as permission to talk, or when Gavin, Aaron, and myself were "elected" leaders. Yet, even with the beginnings of organization being made, very few people held interest in actually trying to survive (shout out to Gavin). One point that was both A.) incredibly amusing and B.) possibly the best decision of the class period, was the group that seceded. While I have no doubt that their foremost intent in doing so was to be funny, they made an interesting dynamic. Perhaps, had we been a smaller group, the entire ordeal would have passed far more smoothly.
          The most important question of the entire experience is, had it been a real situation, would we have survived? My first response is no, no way, no how. While most people seemed to recognize the need for certain things (i.e. food, water, and shelter) they did not understand the enormity of the circumstance. You honestly think a party of three "hunters" could provide for a group of 40 hungry, dirty, tired kids? Have you ever- ever- found, boiled, distributed, and drank water from a river or lake? Even for me, someone who has grown up walking through woods in the dark, climbing trees in 30 degree weather, and following game trails through the hills of southern Mississippi, survival would be exceptionally difficult. There are just so many precautions to take in a place you know little to nothing about. However, though there is little chance that the whole class would have lived through the week, I have to wonder about our little Confederacy. That group of 6 or 8, however many there were when Gavin and I joined, might have made it through. We had everything that could have been expected: a small form of government, jobs that fit the skills and knowledge of each member, a thief who could not only provide food, but also weaken competition, and a common understanding of the collaboration needed to survive as a group. We had the best shot at life.
           I really am curious what those who were doing their own things thought about the entire situation. Did you all believe you were doing things right, that you've watched enough Man vs. Wild to know what to do? Or was it all for the sake of chaos? Trust me when I say that these are not back-handed questions. I am honestly interested because, though I was not surprised by the outcome, I was somewhat disturbed by the lack of order and construction.

So to my reading times:

Birthmarked by Caragh O'Brien: 11/7- 10min. 11/8- 15min. 11/9- 10min. (71-77%)
Lord of the Flies by William Golding: 11/10- 1hr. (Pgs. 8-31)
Biology Text:11/7- 45min. 11/8- 45min. (Pgs. 74-85)

Total: 3hrs. 30min. 34 pgs, 6%-kindle

1 comment:

  1. You know how much I hate reading, Mary Beth. This was simply murder to my patience. All that aside, I thought your blog was very interesting. At first I was all like, "Wow Mary Beth... Hurtful..." But then you came around and mentioned the Confederacy, and that brought my spirits back up. And I completely agree that our Confederacy was the way to go. Also, I noticed you gave a shout out to Gavin and not to me... Even though I was... *cough*... PRESIDENT *cough* *cough*...

    ReplyDelete