Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Literacy Narrative

          I don't know about everyone else, but for me, the introduction is one of the most important pieces of any significant writing. I typically spend a lot of time forming a lead- tweaking, combining, reordering, and fine-tuning my "hook" until I am satisfied that its point is sharp enough. This one didn't take me terribly long to come up with, so I want to get some feedback on it before I do anything to change it. Here we go:



          “I think you could use any of these topics. You’re a good enough writer that you should be able to make something out of all of them.”

            “Okay. I think the football one would be the most interesting. Thanks Mrs. Milligan!”

            And so I wrote. Adding, removing, reordering, and twirling the words into Saturday Night in the South. I was, and am, so proud of that paper. Every trick, technique, turn of phrasing, and twist of tongue I knew was woven into not only the flow, but also the very essence of the article.

            That skill: to be able to spin an A paper (according not only to me, but to my teacher) out of almost any topic, is not just a God-given talent. Ability, of course, plays a part in the works of each and every author, but there are some points that simply must be learned. I learned from some of the best.



So what's the public opinion?

2 comments:

  1. Mary Beth, I like that you begin with dialogue here, and your first full paragraph has great details and sentence fluency. I have a few questions about your second paragraph - let's check in during class tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE READING THIS FONT!! It hurts my eyes :(
    Anyways,the fact that you opened using a dialogue between you and a teacher shows a clear example of a solid introduction. Opening with an action such as that pulls a reader in and makes him/her intrigued.

    ReplyDelete